“Everything we do is an experiment.
A leaders role is to excel at it!”
Entrepreneur, & Mentor
Eric Solowka has been involved in every aspect of business as a founder, owner, resource, manager, executive, and board member. His hands-on experience in the aerospace, software, educational, ITC and construction sectors is supported by well-honed interpersonal, communications, problem solving and coaching skills.
Through Solowka Leadership for a Change, Eric works with experienced business owners and first time entrepreneurs on diagnostics and strategy development and implementation in the areas of talent management, team building, operations and leadership—helping them to manage complexity and achieve sustainable competitive advantage. In the current tradition of virtual teams, Eric draws on his extensive network of experienced consultants to source additional expertise for his clients as needed.
As entrepreneurs gain traction and organizations grow, the need for experienced decision makers also increases. When complexity out-paces revenue growth, shifting from a consulting relationship to a fractional executive role can be the most effective way to help take a business to the next level. When retained in a short-term executive capacity, Eric’s extensive leadership experience and communications training enables him to quickly mesh with diverse teams.
Eric’s educational background is rooted in physics, math, psychology and aerospace engineering. He holds a BSc from University of Toronto, MASc from UofT Institute for Aerospace Studies, a diploma in Aircraft Maintenance from Centennial College, is a Certified MBTI Practitioner, a Distinguished Toastmaster, and the co-author of a number of books.
Eric has worked with organizations such as Kapsch, TrafficCom, Casebank Technologies, Caterpillar, Bombardier, Thales, Fancom, Energrow, Aspen Ridge Homes, Gemstar, Advanced Office Solutions, Mambella’s, Solstice Environment, Rathco, and FlowSpec.
Transformational Leader with demonstrated business, technical and interpersonal acumen across a range of business sectors – from construction to aerospace.
Founded and led the growth of an aerospace engineering company, employing a broad skill base in strategy development, operations management, personnel and leadership development. Responsible and accountable for research, operations, and organization with 300 personnel.
- Focus on developing people to achieve project triple constraints (scope, cost, schedule) and customer satisfaction.
- Created motivated, winning business teams and organizations through a collaborative, mentoring management style, developing a shared vision and inspiring a culture of achievement.
- Led corporate transitions from entrepreneurial to award winning, profitable, and professionally managed organizations.
Innovation Guelph • 2017 – Present
Innovation Guelph provides mentorship and business support programs and services to help innovative enterprises start, grow and thrive.
Responsible for Leadership, Problem Solving, Communication, Human Dynamics, Systems Thinking, Team Assessments & Team Building, Personality Assessment, Presentation and Pitch Skills mentoring to Startups and SME’s.
Previous Career Highlights
ADAO Institute For Change • 1998 – 2017
Adao provides consulting, mentoring, training, and interim executive services to broad range of business sectors including high tech, software, construction, financial, pharmaceutical, and not-for-profit
Founder and Principal
Responsible for all aspects of client programs – assessment, analysis, design, development, and execution.
Some Client Projects:
CaseBank Technologies – designs and develops diagnostic support software for complex systems – Director of Business Transformation
- Redefining the way customers and staff work, the core product or service portfolio of the business and how technology is used. Leading through the several stages in transforming organization:
- Performing situation appraisals, recognizing needs, gaining stakeholder consensus
- Defining and agreeing on objectives of the change and a vision that describes a better future
- Designing the new organisational way of working, its support and management
Thales Rail Signaling Solutions – designs and develops signalling solutions for urban transportation – Acting Director Business Transformation
- Developed change management program to elevate company from Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) Level 1 to Level 2. Managed 3rd party audit and achieved Level 2 certification.
Lewis Media/OnMyBlock – designs and develops websites and content management tools – VP Sales and Training
- Created and implemented a strategy to increase project effectiveness including: clarified roles, distributed responsibility and communication. Increased throughput by 100%, increased average project value by 75%.
- Managed customer performance and relationships achieving 80% improvement in customer satisfaction.
CaseBank Technologies – designs and develops diagnostic support software for complex systems – Sr Project Manager
- Implemented Change Management program for introduction of a web based diagnostic solution. Included change and communication strategy, implementation and training plans.
- Planned and executed 8-month pilot project. Demonstrated $2M annual benefit to end user.
- Salvaged failing government funded research project to demonstrate feasibility of online problem solving training. Program scope was achieved, re-negotiated schedule achieved within budget of $800K.
GemStar Group – project management, supply and installation of natural stone finishes COO
- Assessed business team, culled and replaced as necessary to achieve productive teams
- Implemented formal bid proposal process facilitating better project tracking and improving company image in marketplace
- Developed processes and supplier relations with sales increase from $5M to $18M over 12 months
Atlantis Aerospace Corporation • 1980 –1998
Atlantis is a world leader in commercial pilot and military simulation based training, avionics test equipment and unmanned aerial vehicle control systems.
Founder and co-CEO
Founded Atlantis with 3 colleagues. Collectively held position of CEO, responsible for all aspects of strategic corporate positioning and operation while assuming VP roles for specific functions.
VP R&D • 1978 – 1998
Responsible for all areas of the company technical capability and manufacturing process development, including problem definition, functional design, and all aspects of system design.
- Led team to design and develop control and navigation systems for rocket boosted target drone
- Developed control system for application to fledgling unmanned aerial vehicle market
- Instilled user-focused usability attitude in engineers to universal customer acceptance
- Auxiliary task: specified and commissioned the design and construction of 21,000 sq ft building to facilitate company growth
Thesis: The Effect of Predictive Wind Shear Chart on Pilot Landing Performance
University of Toronto, Institute for Aerospace Studies, Toronto, Ontario
BSc – Physics, Math, Psychology
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Diploma – Aircraft Maintenance Technician
Centennial College of Applied Arts and Technology, Scarborough, Ontario
Various professional development training including:
Total Quality Management, Problem Solving, Personality Type, Communication, Accelerated Learning
- Toastmasters – DTM (Distinguished Toastmaster) Member, Past Division Governor
- Awarded 2014 Douglas Barclay Award for Outstanding Contribution and Support
- Association for Psychological Type – Certified MBTI Practitioner
- Project Management Institute – Past Member
Director of several companies
- Atlantis Aerospace
- Avalon Information Technologies
- Casebank Support Systems
- The Courage to Lead
- Healing the Leper Organization
- Inside Outside Left Side Right – Accelerate your presentations with advanced stage techniques
- Little Book of Big Insight
- Colliding With Change – 50 Tips to meet change head on and win